PDA

View Full Version : Questions before adding to cart

Bolo
01-28-2014, 02:29 AM
Hello all,

This is my first post here.
The R&D time assigned to me comes to an end, and decisions have to be made ;)

First of all, i was blown off by the potential of DMM. Congrats for the hard work done here !
So i'm two clicks away to buy a license.

Here are the remaining questions :
The Plugin license is node-locked. Is it Platform locked ?

There are some issues setting the cache path on linux (we are using CentOS 6).

// Error: DMM: Cache file cannot be changed to '/nfs/projects/***/temp'

This message disapears when Maya gets restarted.
Is this a problem that will be fixed ? Is there a workaround other than restart the session ?

There are big performance differences between linux and windows solvers, caused by some windows libraries not available on linux. Has the plugin for Maya 2014 made improvements on that particular point ?

I've read that since DMM is shipped with Maya 2013, Unlimited Tets cache can be read on render nodes that don't have the full license.
Can someone confirm this ? This would save time on Alembic export ;)

We are on a small budget film production here. So It would be a first step with DMM....And i'm really exited !

vik
01-28-2014, 06:23 AM
Hi Bolo,

I will answer your questions.

Hello all,

This is my first post here.
The R&D time assigned to me comes to an end, and decisions have to be made ;)

First of all, i was blown off by the potential of DMM. Congrats for the hard work done here !
So i'm two clicks away to buy a license.

Good to hear! there are definitely positive benefits to using DMM!

Here are the remaining questions :
The Plugin license is node-locked. Is it Platform locked ?

The license is not platform-locked if you run it on the same hardware.

There are some issues setting the cache path on linux (we are using CentOS 6).

// Error: DMM: Cache file cannot be changed to '/nfs/projects/***/temp'

This message disapears when Maya gets restarted.
Is this a problem that will be fixed ? Is there a workaround other than restart the session ?

This has to do with the way Maya works. I will check on that for you. It could be with the way the environment variable is getting set.

There are big performance differences between linux and windows solvers, caused by some windows libraries not available on linux. Has the plugin for Maya 2014 made improvements on that particular point ?

Not yet. The issues with Linux have to do with the performance of some of the libraries we use. For our API version the Linux version uses a different build of DMM. We are looking into improving the performance of that.

I've read that since DMM is shipped with Maya 2013, Unlimited Tets cache can be read on render nodes that don't have the full license.

You have to download DMM for Maya 2013 from our site after purchasing it, it is not shipped with Maya, but Autodesk supports it on Maya. The deal here is that on the limited-tet version you can play back a DMM scene with no limitation on the number of gets using the DMM Cache. DMM is not technically running, so we allow that.
Can someone confirm this ? This would save time on Alembic export ;)

We are on a small budget film production here. So It would be a first step with DMM....And i'm really exited !

The Maya 2014 version for both Linux and OS X has still not been turned into installers by Autodesk. We sent the builds to them over a month ago. I can get you the build in a non-installer form to setup on your machine if you need it. We are expecting the official installers from Autodesk any day now.

Please post what you do with DMM. We always love seeing examples of people being successful.

Cheers,
Vik

Bolo
01-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Hey Vik,

many thanks for your quick reply ;)

I would be happy if you could check the environnement variables issue, and tell us wich one are involved in what way, so that our Pipeline TD can set them correctly regarding our Pipeline.

For now we are going to use the 2013 version.
What is your pricing policy for version upgrading ?

Is there a huge gap (precision) between the sim results that you get on Windows and Linux ?

It is really great that you guys are letting the users read unlimited Tets cache on limited installs ;)
Like the way of thinking here.

Please post what you do with DMM. We always love seeing examples of people being successful.

Sure, i will post the results ;)
Here is our website http://www.elefantstudios.ch

Lets get that License, and destroy some stuff !

Cheers

vik
01-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Hi Bolo,

No cost for upgrading to 2013 or 2014 presently.

You shouldn't expect to simulate on different platforms and get the exact same results. There are differences in the way the math is done on different OS libraries that result in determinism not being preserved between all of them.

To try and anticipate differences in simulation is quite difficult. Like life, a very small change early on in a simulation can result in a dramatically different outcome :-)

Looking forward to your results!

-Vik