Thread: Why after i created dmm object, it just became a tet...?

Why after i created dmm object, it just became a tet...?

hello, everyone, i'm confused about this phenomenon, i have created dmm object from polymesh with a Shark model like below. After i did this, it just become a tetrahedron. It's wired right?
    QQ截图20131230222727.jpgQQ截图20131230222959.jpg

You've done everything right. However I would advise you use the Autocage utility to create the tet cage instead of the "Create DMM from polymesh" option. With complex objects like your shark, you want a more uniform tessellation for better fracture. The tools we use to tesselate are limited by the points in the original poly mesh if you use the "Create DMM from Polymesh". They cannot move those points around or remove them. However, if you use the "Create DMM with Autocage", that is not a limitation. You will get better tessellation, with fewer wasted tets. If you wish to adjust the cage, you can save it off as an OBJ and add it later as a tet cage.

Cheers,
    Vik

In fact, i have to say, our model has some pores inside. So if i create dmm object with Autocage, it won't take the pores into consideration and tetrahedron in the pores. So i need dmm to take the pores as null inside and don't tetrahedra inside the holes.
    So are there other solutions for this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by vik View Post
    You've done everything right. However I would advise you use the Autocage utility to create the tet cage instead of the "Create DMM from polymesh" option. With complex objects like your shark, you want a more uniform tessellation for better fracture. The tools we use to tesselate are limited by the points in the original poly mesh if you use the "Create DMM from Polymesh". They cannot move those points around or remove them. However, if you use the "Create DMM with Autocage", that is not a limitation. You will get better tessellation, with fewer wasted tets. If you wish to adjust the cage, you can save it off as an OBJ and add it later as a tet cage.

Cheers,
    Vik

We call "pores" "holes"

These can be an issue. The key thing to make DMM work is that we need to know what the "inside" of an object is as a distinct thing from its "outside". Holes in the mesh can be problematic and if you use the "Create DMM with Polymesh" option, you will have issues with our mesh verify utility flagging a problematic surface.

If you use the Autocage utility, it will create a continuous volume that can take the holes into account, or ignore them, depending on the number of tets and distance from the surface you specify.

You can also have control over all this by manually editing the DMM cage manually. I do this sometimes for complex objects where I want more tetrahedral detail on parts that autocage doesn't quite add. The way I do this is to run autocage separately on the object without DMM (you can do this by selecting "create autocage mesh" in the DMM asset menu). Once created, you can select the mesh and save it as an OBJ and then reload it for editing (or you can disconnect it or delete history to turn it into a pure independent poly object).

I generally keep the mesh above the object I want to apply it to as an autocage and then add and remove vertices from it. Once i am happy, I turn the edited autocage mesh into a DMM object and add the surface mesh to it.

Cheers,
    Vik

wow, it seems complicated. can you suggest some videos on the youtube or some like this to tell me how to do this?