Thread: Houdini Plugin????

Houdini Plugin????

Hi,

It would be awesome to get this as Maya doesn't do procedural setups very well

Carry on the great work!

Thanks for the kind words!

A Houdini plug-in has been contemplated for a long time, but right now we have our hands full with the Maya and Max versions. For studios that want a Houdini integration, we can do that with our pipeline product.

-Vik
    Last edited by vik; 09-10-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Additional text

Hello Vik,

Its good to hear from you. I'm afraid I cannot find any information about the pipeline product on the pixelux website. Can you please send a link as to where I can find out all the details?

Nardeep Chander

Hi Nardeep,

The pipeline version of DMM consists of a library containing the solver as well as tools. The tools are also available as separate binaries. Companies that license this version generally have us do some integration work with them as well as consulting on new things. The pipeline version is priced as a yearly license that gives the licensee access to DMM throughout their entire organization.

One benefit to the pipeline version is that there is no geometry restriction on simulation as might occur if you tried to simulate an extremely dense (like a million tets) mesh inside of Maya. DMM can easily create massive amounts of geometry procedurally which can sometimes cause issues within Maya and Max. Organizations that use DMM in this fashion generally have their own modeling tools as well, making it more practical for them to take advantage of having the simulation run concurrently to rendering in their pipeline.

You can see an example of a typical pipeline integration if you watch Ben Cole's Talk from Siggraph 2011. It should be up on SiggraphEncore soon.

Cheers,
    Vik