Thread: Paintable Material Attributes

Paintable Material Attributes

As far as I know, real-world objects rarely have uniform structural integrity. Aside from the reality-factor, being able to paint material attribute changes in specific regions would allow for better art direction, so I'd love to see such a feature implemented. As an extreme example, I could paint higher toughness values where I don't want the object to break so easily and lower values where I want it to pretty much pulverize upon being stressed.

Not sure if this is the same as dcanimate requests with "Region Based Material Types".

Cheers!

Up !!!
    Just my two cents.
    There is the reality-factor side, as you said, but also (as an artist working in the movie industry with directors) the non-realistic side. I'm always looking to ways to tweak reality to satisfied the director. So using maps onto attributes or even on density region would be very cool.

Our API licensees have this in their pipelines, but it is a feature we plan to add in an upcoming release of the plugin.

-Vik

I don't have Photoshop anymore, so I need to use the regular paint on windows, but I'm not sure how to make it black and white, so could somebody please tell me?

affecting material toughness the same way you create splinters is a very useful way to simulate with DMM. Kali at MPC has this functionality and it is extremely useful in creating art directed "flaws" in materials... where you dont necessarily get the cracks exactly along the fault lines but its close and a natural looking crack propagation, also works well for separating large chunks that then get a secondary destruction when they hit say a ground plane.

Im using DMM for just a few days, BUT I had the same thoughts as OP. Painting material attributes will be really helpful and pleasant to work with. Any news on the progress of this feature??

the only problem with "painting" material attributes is how does it apply to the interior of an object. Kali boasts the ability to paint density onto a surface but in reality this function only affects the tets nearest to the surface of the mesh, which basically is useless. Internal to DMM is functions that can calculate the bounding of the tet wedges this to me is a far better way to affect density and material properties than to paint it on the surface.
    at MPC you can also affect toughness based on either curves or a splinter cage type senario, the curves are good for laminar surfaces like glass but are useless for objects with lots of volume. Would be great to see some of teh user suggestions implemented into a DMM build.