Thread: Plugin crashes when creating DMM object

Plugin crashes when creating DMM object

HI..

great plugin!

After going through your the 9 tutorials from this forum, I modelled a simpel poly model of 194 tris. When I verify the polymesh its okay! Maya 2010 craches after 10 minutes of trying.
    But when trying to creating a DMM object from this mesh: the surftri process comes to 100%, but the netgenmesh process keep looping for 10 minuts until Maya 2010 craches..

I uploaded the mesh here: http://www.2shared.com/file/jSX1ZVW8/frame.html
    Can someone please convert it for me, and enlighten me why this is happening.

cheers guys..
    Susan

Re: Plugin crashes when creating DMM object

Hi Susan,

We took your model and looked at why it had a problem. It turns out that it has some faces that are extremely small which cause false positives in one of the verification tools. There is a way to change this setting and we will be posting it shortly (hopefully by tomorrow).

This is the first time we have seen this problem. You might consider making your models in a way that does not generate super-small faces, I'm sure it will cause issues with rendering as well.

Cheers,
    Dmmjedi

Hi Susan,
    You can run this MEL command to see what faces are causing problems:
    meshverify -g 0.01
    It will select the faces that the plugin has trouble with.
    Hope this helps.
    Getting the plugin ready!

Hi again..

The small faces are edge loops I inserted because how I normally box model turned out not fulfilling the DMM verification requirements.
    I will be happy to model in another way without using edge loops etc. Maybe you guys at Pixelux could create a modelling tutorial for your plugin.
    I find it very hard to create models that actually gets accepted by this plugin.

Hope you can help
    cheers guys..
    Susan

Hi Susan,

No tutorial is really necessary. Just keep your models clean, with watertight geometry and larger faces. The command line command given before will help you find the super-small edges (I actually found them without any utility, some of the faces you modelled were clearly way too small, you should just merge them with the surrounding geometry, having stuff that close doesn't serve any purpose but to increase your render time.

Also, be careful using extrusions, Maya can make the surface face the wrong way depending on which way you extrude. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about that, We assume the normals are facing the right way...

-dmmjedi

Thanks, I will remember that. I can get the model to work know.
    But how do you normally model in maya then? I am used to the box modelling approach, using extrusions..

I would really like to better at creating watertight models, so I can utilize your fantastisk plug-in!

You can use the box modelling approach. Extrusions are OK as well. Just remember that if you can't see the smallest face clearly, it is probably too small

The box approach is nice as it implicitly can create watertight models, but it doesn't protect you from things like accidentally creating really small faces. Using the surface of a watertight object directly as a DMM surface cage with such objects is probably not a good idea. You can get a similar effect by running autocage on the model and using that as the basis for your cage. This is how I use the Maya Paint Effects to create DMM plants. Create a paint effect plant, turn it into a poly mesh, run autocage on the individual meshes (paint effects turns the stem and leaves into seperate objects) and then glue them together with implicit DMM glue.

Of course, the paint effects objects are not watertight...so you can't break them properly without adding volume to them.

Anyways, the best way to learn about something is to experiment. You should just try all kinds of neat ideas with the plug-in, I'm sure you will master it in no time!

-dmmjedi

Thanks for that explanation.. I will try out the Maya Paint Effects.

Plugin crashes because of You had problem in your model, some of the faces you modelled were clearly way too small, you should just merge them with the surrounding geometry, having stuff that close doesn't serve any purpose but to increase your render time.