Thread: To Pixelux: Is this true?

To Pixelux: Is this true?

Is this true:
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/amd-op ... _news_stmp

Does that mean we will be seeing Radeon graphics cards doing DMM Physics?

Re: To Pixelux: Is this true?

It is absolutely true. As you guys know, everyone has wanted a viewer to play around with DMM. With this announcement, we have gone a step beyond that and created a free version that you guys can use to create games. Moreover, it will be DMM2 and will have tight integration with the Bullet rigid body physics library.

Hope this makes you guys happy

Quote Originally Posted by dmmjedi
    Hope this makes you guys happy
    Veeery happy. Freeware games/mods can use it for free? How limited will it be? What hardware and software is necessary for GPU Acceleration? DirectX 11?
    (I'm sure we'll get more information over the course of the the game developer's conference...)
    And, above all: When?

--edit--
    In the Bullet news they write about amd giving it to "selected game developers" (only?) - do we need to worry?

In the AMD press release they also say "Free PC DMM2 is expected to be made available shortly to interested developers." I consider myself an interested developer but it's not very clear what they mean by that...

On the other hand Eric Demers is quoted: "Establishing an open and affordable physics development environment [...]" And if "affordable" meant "cheap, but not free" it would contrasts with "open" - although it could refer only to bullet, not to dmm.

The sentence "With today’s announcement, the incredible physical simulation effects [...] can be used by all developers" is pretty clear, but once again that's just a quote.

Do we need the maya/max plugin in order to create dmm content?

--edit2--
    Researching a little more: (Yes, I'm really excited about this!)
    GPU Support will probably be there. From this older press release: "Pixelux wants ensure that our technology can take advantage of the computing resources that any particular hardware platform offers without locking in our users to any single platform [...] By working with AMD to run our software in OpenCL we stay true to that goal.”"

--edit3--
    So, when will we get more information?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wonko
    So, when will we get more information?
    Guys?

(Sorry for the bump but now that the news is out people are interested, right? At least I am.)

AMD just released an official announcement about the free version of DMM:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AMD-Open- ... 0.html?x=0
    Trying to DMMize my C++ compiler

Quote Originally Posted by dmmNOW
    AMD just released an official announcement about the free version of DMM:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AMD-Open- ... 0.html?x=0
    Sorry, but that's just the press release I've already had a link to in my post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wonko
    In the AMD press release [...]
    Well but judging from your answer that's the only information so far... Please keep us updated!

What's the status?

I am also very curious about the AMD sponsored DMM. Any updates?

It would also be good to know who exactly will get access to DMM. These so called "interested" developers from the press release sound rather sketchy, it may end up being everyone, or just the select few established studios... you never know.

Any info is much appreciated, thanks.

The DMM2 version mentioned in the AMD press release is being worked on. We have quite a few resources dedicated to meeting an internal schedule we have with AMD. We will post videos to our facebook page as we have more to show. You may have already seen the car/chain/stacking video showing how well DMM2 interacts with Bullet. Right now, we have fracture running in that demo as well.

The free version of DMM2 will be available to everyone. The goal is to allow everyone to become familiar with the technology without licensing issues. With the free version, you will be able to integrate DMM2 and Bullet into your PC game royalty-free without any up-front fees. It really is free. The catch, however, is that the free version will be limited in the number of active elements that it can have live at any instant. For those who want to build games without this limitation, we will have the premium, non-free version that they can license. The console versions of DMM2 for PS3 and Xbox360 will not be free. If you are a member of the developer programs for either system you can get an evaluation copy to try out.

In case you wonder if the free version will be so handicapped in terms of active elements so as to not be useful, rest assured that you will not be disappointed, you will be able to do some fantastic stuff with it even with that limitation. Things you can't do with any other physics system.

-dmmjedi

Awesome news, thanks a lot. Can't wait for the release.