Thread: Problems

Problems

Did many tests, and I have found many (bugs/slowdowns).
    If I ddmize a single box with 1x1x1 segs, there is no problem but if I set for example 10x10x10, the performance is almost worst (dont know why). Tested on both Max 2009 and 2010 x64. With this performance (as far as I have it), it is impossible to use this plugin in a correct way. There is also another bug: If I dmmize some objects, simulate it than delete it, i get always a performance slowdown + if I create than a new object, all the dmm layer objects are visible in viewport although they must be hidden (except the object, that is visible for simulation feedback).

There is sometimes also a flipping bug (polys flip)

This is just a visibility bug...the performance makes it unusable for me. I dont know how the plugin works at other max users but as I said, I have horrible performance in both max version.

Using Windows 7, Max 2009 x64, Quadcore 4GHZ + 8GB RAM/GTX 260.
    I hope there is a solution.

Best Regards,

SerdarVFX

Re: Problems

Hello,

Are you using the latest version? v0.6

1. could you please post a scene file of the problem, and include the Max version in the filename, e.g. "DMM Problem with 10x10x10 - Max2009 SerdarVFX.zip"
    -- It takes quite a bit longer to calculate the 10x10x10 but after the calculation is done the system performance is normal. Is the problem just that it takes longer?

2. "If I dmmize some objects, simulate it than delete it, i get always a performance slowdown"
    -- that's really strange... What kind of slow-down are you referring to? I do not see any slow-down here.... do you have a file?

3. "if I create than a new object, all the dmm layer objects are visible in viewport although they must be hidden"
    -- again, weird, I do not see this behavior.

4. What display driver are you using in Max?

Windows 7 x64
    Max 2009, 2010 x64
    QuadroFX 3700M

Hi joescarr

Yes I am using the latest beta (version 0.6).

I will post the scene if I am Home. The Scene is set up very simple,
    a simple box with 1x1x1 segs and above another box with 10x10x10 segs (both very low poly obects -> converted to editable Poly).

If both geometry is set to 1x1x1, everything works good (performance is ok) but if I set just one box to 10x10x10 (after clean start of a new empty max scene), the performance is horrible although the polycount is very low....I ask myself what would be the performance if I use normal polycount objects. Performance Slowdown = visual feedback slow.

Display Driver is 191.xx -> 3ds Max with latest SPs + Updates.
    Every else Plugin works perfect except this one.

I will add a video + maxfile if I am @ home.

Best Regards,

SerdarVFX

EDIT: here is the Max file. Done with Max 2009 x64

http://rapidshare.com/files/31034307...xFile.rar.html

Thank-you for posting the file... unfortunately RapidShare really sucks.... I will have to spend 10+ minutes checking to see if the file is ready... only to be told the server is too busy and would I like to become a Premium member? I will try a couple more times...

Please consider getting a DropBox -- it is a MUCH better way to share files (and includes a local Public folder with the ability to quickly create a public html link to the file (directly from your own computer!))

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTY4NjU2ODk

---------------------------------------------------------

this is the RapidShare error....

"You want to download the following file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/310343077/S ... axFile.rar | 1919 KB

This file can only be downloaded by becoming a Premium member

There are no more download slots available for free users right now. If you don't want to become a premium member, you might want to try again later."

Indeed, RS sucks at these moments...here the file @ my own webspace:

http://www.serdar-design.com/SerdarVFXMaxFile.rar

Hello!

I just downloaded your scene and it works perfectly for me... I have 3dsmax 2010 64 bit on a Windows Vista machine (Intel Core i7 2.93 GHz, 6GB RAM)

I don't really understand your issue. If it is that the playback of the animation does not happen in real-time while DMM is calculating the simulation, that is totally normal. You have 2599 tetrahedrons in your scene. Calculating the interactions between all of them takes some time.

In order to view simulations in real-time you should save them by using the DMM Cache. You can then replay them in real-time (as well as scrub through them, play them in reverse etc.) When you use the Cache, the DMM simulator does not recalculate the simulation during playback, it simply reads the saved file.

I hope this helps.