Thread: How can i throw objects at...

How can i throw objects at...

In 3d max (or maya mainly 3d max) is there a way to have it so i can throw objects at the things i make and stuff because i really want to make a house and throw objects at it and watch it crack and stuff also how did they make the fps like demo for the dmm engine if you cant do it in 3d max or maya.

Re: How can i throw objects at...

Hi again zombiedance,

to throw an object, you should use the 3DS Max keyframing system.
    Passive DMM Objects are driven by the keyframed animation, thus making it possible to throw an object.

For doing so, you should first animate the object with keyframes (either the source model or the prepared mesh itself). Then you have 2 options:
    1. keyframe the passive attribute of the DMM object. If "auto keys" is turned on, simply checking and unchecking the option in the prepMesh Mod. interface works. The object should be passive at the beginning of the keyframe anim, and the option must be turned off before the end of the anim. Dmm then takes the object's velocity as the last velocity before passive is turned off.
    2. Create a passive region around the object, wrapping the trajectory you want to animate with keyframes. As soon as the object exists the region, and even if the keyframed anim. isn't over, Dmm takes over and the object is thrown.

Hope this helped,

Best,

Etienne
    "To infinity and beyond!" - Buzz Lightyear

Well that answers that but how can i make an fps so i can walk around and throw objects from my character at other things.

Well, beyond doing the animation in Max or Maya, if you want to achieve something like a fps, then I am afraid that you must program it yourself...

DMM simply does the physics job, it remains yours to do the rest. DMM is integrated to several commercial game engines, so maybe these may help you achieve your goal ? (e.g. Trinigy)

Best,

Etienne
    "To infinity and beyond!" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote Originally Posted by zombiedance
    I how did they make the fps like demo for the dmm engine if you cant do it in 3d max or maya.
    If you are talking about this demo it was done using the Gamebryo engine by Emergent. As Etienne said, DMM has been integrated into both Trinigy and Gamebryo. Other game engines should follow...

dang that's like 5000$.