PDA

View Full Version : Is the DMM a physics engine?

spider
10-04-2010, 04:09 AM
Is the DMM a physics engine? In other words, could it work without some physics engine?

dmmjedi
10-06-2010, 08:51 AM
DMM is a stand-alone physics system.

Our first demo to LucasArts consisted of DMM integrated with the open source OGRE engine. No other physics system was used and that demo convinced them to use DMM in "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed".

Like any physics system used in a game, there has to be interoperability with other, more specialized systems. DMM is designed to work with those other systems and DMM2 is designed to do that even better.

However, it is important to note that both DMM and DMM2 are independent physics systems that are not dependent on any other physics system for their operation.

-dmmjedi

Mr. Wonko
10-17-2010, 12:37 PM
DMM is a stand-alone physics system.

Our first demo to LucasArts consisted of DMM integrated with the open source OGRE engine. No other physics system was used and that demo convinced them to use DMM in "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed".

Like any physics system used in a game, there has to be interoperability with other, more specialized systems. DMM is designed to work with those other systems and DMM2 is designed to do that even better.

However, it is important to note that both DMM and DMM2 are independent physics systems that are not dependent on any other physics system for their operation.

-dmmjedi
You're especially working at Bullet integration, right? I think I read that somewhere...

Mac
10-18-2010, 04:22 AM
I think I read that Bullet integration is going to be available out of the box, while anything else you'll have to implement on your own.