PDA

View Full Version : Sandbox Like Program of DMM

Dark Matter
09-20-2008, 09:34 PM
I am simply just requesting a program that would let people make objects, tune the DMM settings and have fun. It is probably a big hassle asking for it to be free but of course if people were just playing around with it there would be no need for anyone to export the files into a usable format for people to make games.

I do understand that there is a Plugin for Maya, but what I specifically mean is literally probably a sandbox based application. Like Endorphin, but a Character is not needed provided that if you give us the tools we could maybe create one ourselves anyway. Sure it'd be a ragdoll (maybe) but it would still be fun, and I guarantee you that more people would be more interested in DMM. This is how Endorphin got popular from what I see.

In the end it seems everyone should be happy.

Too show the support I am posting this thread after 12:00 midnight and I just told people to come here, register and show their support. I am guessing over 10 alone should arise tonight.

Note: I am the one of the Natural Motion moderators. I am just saying that so that this does not seem weird. This edit probably adds more weirdness. Hopefully some humor. : D

ThatCoolGuy1
09-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Well Dark Matter, I agree with your request. I would indeed be more interested in DMM.
A free demo or Sandbox mode would give you a good foretaste on the program. Like Dark Matter said, this happened with Endorphin, and look how that turned out.

There's over 100,000 strong community members, and there was a commercial that used the program Endorphin. It just seems like a great idea to have a free version or even a trial of DMM.

Dark Matter also told me to register here.

CobhcK
09-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Note: I am the one of the Natural Motion moderators. I am just saying that so that this does not seem weird. This edit probably adds more weirdness. Hopefully some humor. : D

Nope, just more weirdness.

TBH, I have no clue what the hell you just said, but it sounds fun. So yeah, I support said idea.

White Gold
09-21-2008, 01:23 AM
This does sound a very interesting idea. SO basically have a stand alone program that shows off DMM. Like a little demo program.

Also this would be useful for people like me, who use the le version of maya.

Srgpwner
09-21-2008, 06:20 AM
Sounds very cool i think thats a good idea

Boldstar
09-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Yeah, would be awesome.

NotWellKnown
09-21-2008, 01:41 PM
That is an awesome idea. I completely agree with it and hope it can happen.

Ironman2pt0
09-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I completely agree. DMM is excellent in The Force Unleashed and I'd certainly like to see it in more titles. If a sandbox version was released then imagine how many videos would surface on YouTube. It'd spread like endorphin.

Dark Matter
09-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Even though I lost my bet, still, can you smell the anticipation? : P

dmmNOW
09-22-2008, 01:42 AM
Hi!
Thanks for all the messages!
We currently have a viewer that is a simple 3D engine that displays DMM objects in real time. We can export a complete Maya scene (only the DMM objects at the moment) and load using this real time viewer and then move around and throw stuff.
We plan to release that tool in the future, however we can't release anything before october 1st because of our contract with Lucas Arts.
Thanks for the support, we'll keep you updated!

futuramaguy42
09-22-2008, 11:22 AM
It would also be good for people that want to test out the engine but don't have Maya, which is an expensive program.

Spartan_344
09-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Awsome i would REALY REALY REALY REALY REALY REALY REALY REALY want a program like that i realy dont care who makes the objects i just want to throw stuff at them couse some people like me cant afford a 5,000 dollor program (MAYA)

dmmNOW
09-30-2008, 12:54 AM
We will give out a first version of a basic viewer pretty soon, hopefully by the end of this week. It will be free but donations are accepted of course ;)

Spartan_344
09-30-2008, 06:53 AM
We will give out a first version of a basic viewer pretty soon, hopefully by the end of this week. It will be free but donations are accepted of course ;)

how Would I give a donation ???

Spartan_344
09-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Its october 1 in switzerland and not in america!!! does that mean ur realeasing the veiwer between now and the end of the world???

macattack
09-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Cool, I can't wait for the viewer since my copy of Maya is for mac but I also have widows. Can some people post some cool scenes to view and does the viewer have a drag feature?

Spartan_344
10-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Well its October 1 your contract thing is done from what ive heard

zalo
10-01-2008, 03:15 PM
hopefully by the end of this week

You guys have waited this long, you can wait a week or two more.

Also, I totally support the notion of an Interactive Real Time 3D DMM Viewer.

Spartan_344
10-01-2008, 04:22 PM
oh im sorry for rushing hay are the admin people in switzerland or USA and what kind of textures does the veiwer models have or are they just green and white or are they random i wonder how it works dont ansewer me if you dont know what im talking about couse i dont know what kind of concept the veiwer is ????

Spartan_344
10-02-2008, 09:52 AM
I want to throw stuff at that dmm castle

=)

Dark Matter
10-03-2008, 03:13 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated. 8-)

dmmjedi
10-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Hey Guys, the DMM sandbox is still being worked on. We want to make sure it is easy to use and play with before we post it.

We will post updates as we can.

macattack
10-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Hey Guys, the DMM sandbox is still being worked on. We want to make sure it is easy to use and play with before we post it.

Will it have a drag feature and do you have to download the DMM library for it to work?

Spartan_344
10-05-2008, 11:06 AM

Ok THANKS You guys are Awsome

Spartan_344
10-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Can you estimate a realese date for the veiwer... I just want somthing to look forward to

macattack
10-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Can you estimate a realese date for the veiwer... I just want somthing to look forward to
they said by the end of the week, just calm down and wait...

Spartan_344
10-05-2008, 08:26 PM
they said by the end of the week, just calm down and wait...

ya i know but they said that last week im sorry im just boared right now

dmmNOW
10-07-2008, 03:21 AM
Ok, I actually I take it back. It won't be ready at the end of the week. We want to release something nice, not just a green and white viewer so it's needs some more work!
To answer macattack: it will have a grab feature so you can grab the table other there and smash it against a wall :-)

Dawlight
10-07-2008, 05:12 AM
Wow, I'm looking forward to this!
I presume this extra time is put into making the sandbox/viewer-thingy a bit more game-like and enjoyable with textures and stuff.

But I'm wondering about some stuff.
What load does DMM put on the CPU compared to pure solids?
Does it get more laggy once you break something, or is all pieces rendered at all times?
And will it be powered by PhysX or have multi-core support?

BlackNecro
10-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Wow, I'm looking forward to this!
I presume this extra time is put into making the sandbox/viewer-thingy a bit more game-like and enjoyable with textures and stuff.

But I'm wondering about some stuff.
What load does DMM put on the CPU compared to pure solids?
Does it get more laggy once you break something, or is all pieces rendered at all times?
And will it be powered by PhysX or have multi-core support?
Pure solides are one object - one velocity (well actually two - positional and rotational ;P) that needs to be calculated - and collisions just affect this whole object.
DMM splits components up into a grid like mesh where every single vertex (point in the mesh) got it's own velocity. Those vertices are connected by springs which allows the whole object to bend, fracture et cetera.
This obviously needs way more calcuations than simple rigid body dynamics.
Oh and I won't think DMM will make use of PhysX (Even though being able to combinate both would be quite cool - Simulating rigid bodies with dmm is quite heavy)
As our friends from Pixelux spend quite much time writing their own solvers and converting the whole thing to another solver would be quite senseless now.
As for the multi-core support - isn't it already multithreaded? It however pushes my dual core machine to a steady 100% cpu usage.

Spartan_344
10-07-2008, 07:14 AM
Ok, I actually I take it back. It won't be ready at the end of the week. We want to release something nice, not just a green and white viewer so it's needs some more work!
To answer macattack: it will have a grab feature so you can grab the table other there and smash it against a wall :-)

Aww u dont want to realese a beta vertion ??? lol

Dawlight
10-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Pure solides are one object - one velocity (well actually two - positional and rotational ;P) that needs to be calculated - and collisions just affect this whole object.
DMM splits components up into a grid like mesh where every single vertex (point in the mesh) got it's own velocity. Those vertices are connected by springs which allows the whole object to bend, fracture et cetera.
This obviously needs way more calcuations than simple rigid body dynamics.
Oh and I won't think DMM will make use of PhysX (Even though being able to combinate both would be quite cool - Simulating rigid bodies with dmm is quite heavy)
As our friends from Pixelux spend quite much time writing their own solvers and converting the whole thing to another solver would be quite senseless now.
As for the multi-core support - isn't it already multithreaded? It however pushes my dual core machine to a steady 100% cpu usage.

Yeah, but I figured that maybe they used the model-swap method to swap from a pure solid to a DMM object. That is, once the object is put under such stress that it would be affected at all. To me that sounds like a more CPU and GPU friendly method as the GPU doesn't have to render so many polygons.

But then again, I'm no expert at all.

David
10-07-2008, 10:13 AM
The inner faces aren't displayed as long as the object isn't broken. But yes, your model still has to have more polygons than an "usual" solid-model if you want it to be breakable. But I suppose there are some ways to optimize the way the objects are rendered when you implement DMM in your rendering engine (as DMM itself has nothing to do with the rendering, it's only simulating the way the physical object are simulated. The rest depends of your implementation of the library in the rendering engine you're using).

Spartan_344
10-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Will we be able to import the user generated maya dmm simulations into the veiwer ??? or is it going to be whatever you give us ???

zalo
10-10-2008, 07:19 AM
We currently have a viewer that is a simple 3D engine that displays DMM objects in real time. We can export a complete Maya scene (only the DMM objects at the moment) and load using this real time viewer and then move around and throw stuff.

dmmNOW
10-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Here are some answers:

DMM is multi-threaded. so it has multi-core support built-in
DMM can interact with rigid bodies (and vice versa), and the game programmer can have the engine to swap between rigid bodies and soft bodies at run time
Inactive objects don't take any computation time

Dawlight
10-13-2008, 10:31 PM
I didn't realize DMM was a complete physics engine. But yeah, I tall makes sense now.
Thanks for the answers.

How is the viewer going?

Spartan_344
10-14-2008, 11:21 AM
I noticed that if I run the dmm plugin at real time i only get 8-12 FPS. im assuming that will change with the veiwer??

Dark Matter
10-15-2008, 10:45 AM
This sounds great, again, thanks for the updates.

David
10-15-2008, 01:58 PM
I noticed that if I run the dmm plugin at real time i only get 8-12 FPS. im assuming that will change with the veiwer??

Yes don't worry, the framerate is way higher in the viewer than in Maya

Spartan_344
10-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Ok thanks i was hopeing it would be

-TRASE-
10-16-2008, 07:01 AM
soo, ohw is it going? we will see it in a week-or-two or in a month-or-two?

vaaern
10-17-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm quite curious about this... keep us updated please =D

futuramaguy42
10-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Can we get some sort of beta.... I feel we've been waiting a long time when you said it would be ready a while ago. I don't care if its complete yet, just as long as it works. :P

BTW, what are the specs for this? Will it run alright on my 2 gig ram, HD Radeon 2400 pro, 2.4 megahurts quad core?

WarStorm
10-19-2008, 02:37 AM
Yes a Beta would be very very cool!

zalo
10-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Look. Last time they said it would be a week (When the website had yet to be live)
it took around 3 months (Circa 14th of Feb to 5th of May) so just keep your cool guys.
The website isn't going anywhere, and there are plenty of other things on the internet
to keep you occupied until then.

MulleDK19
10-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Are we gonna be able to choose what kind of type objects are? Wood, metal, jello, etc.?

Keep up the great work!

Spartan_344
10-30-2008, 09:18 PM
LOL so much for one week more like one month

MulleDK19
11-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Send the viewer source to me, I'll complete it, lol xD

No ETA?

Spartan_344
11-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Send the viewer source to me, I'll complete it, lol xD

No ETA?

Lol Thay give us one

vaaern
11-07-2008, 10:49 AM
can't waaaait :s

Spartan_344
11-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Any UPDATES on The Veiwer i can wait for it ive been cheking this site every day for the past month and thair hasnt been very many updates on this program

Raziel_Darkmatter
11-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Yeah same here...
Updates please! :cry:

irpie
11-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Yep every day for the past 2 weeks i have bin cheking back here...plz plz UPDATES.. u said a week...then a little longer...its...bin SOOOOO LONG...

Spartan_344
11-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Yes, it has been VERY LONG Maby just a video or somthing =)

macattack
11-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Quite whining you turds. Just calm down and wait your not gona make it any faster by acting like 3 year olds... :|

Spartan_344
11-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Quite whining you turds. Just calm down and wait your not gona make it any faster by acting like 3 year olds... :|

OMFG Just shut up thats like the 8th time you came in to insult us whenever we asked when thay will be done so why dont you go Shut Up and sit in a corner you three yr old

ps. and what kind of insult is turd... lol

vaaern
11-12-2008, 09:57 AM
maybe just calm down? :s

irpie
11-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Yes macattack your being quite immature..yourself just everyone calm down..AND RELEASE THE VIEWER..or mabe a vid?..a SCREENSHOT..

vaaern
11-12-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm excited about this, I didn't really follow the first details of the viewer, but I hope we're gonna be able to create our own scenes

Spartan_344
11-12-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm excited about this, I didn't really follow the first details of the viewer, but I hope we're gonna be able to create our own scenes

ya im not quite so exited about making the scenes (since i have maya with the plugin) but i want to try out that veiwer pretty badley but if it dosent have a sence maker with it you can pm me and ill see if i can make some stuff for you people

irpie
11-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Hopefully they will include demos like the DMM castle...

Raziel_Darkmatter
11-12-2008, 01:24 PM
I really want to be able to play that castle demo thing...
and/or the tank simulation in the wrecked town...*drools* :ugeek:

Spartan_344
11-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Hopefully they will include demos like the DMM castle...

psh... i think i could make a castle maby... probebly not nevermind

irpie
11-12-2008, 02:20 PM
XD..i can make a chair and make it smash throught a 2 floors of building...obviously no walls...just floor lol i suck with maya..

macattack
11-12-2008, 03:40 PM
OMG Just shut up that like the 8th time you came in to insult us whenever we asked when thay will be done so why dont you go Shut Up and sit in a corner you three yr old

Just let the devs work, believe me, I'm a artist for a game in progress called liquidized and developing any software takes time. I'm sorry that the people at pixelux aren't lifeless freaks that spend all their time working on software for you but they have better things to do and no way to make an exact prediction of when they'll be done. How am I being immature by telling you to stop bugging the developers and whining like you're gona die if you don't get the software tomorrow. Its okay to ask a little but 2-3 pages of whining is totally absurd. :(

PS: and spartan, saying "OMG just shut" up makes you sound like a little emo girl. :|

Spartan_344
11-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Ya but telling us to shut up dosent help at all and they should be giving us some kind of update couse we havent heard from them since October 19th wich was a month ago so im entitled to ask for a simple update.

ps. I dont realy care if they just tell me that thair working on it i just want to know if thair doing somthing and get some sort of feedback

pps. And stop defending. them they knew that they would hear this if the told us somthing this awsome is coming out.

macattack
11-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Ya but telling us to shut up dosent help at all and they should be giving us some kind of update couse we havent heard from them since October 19th wich was a month ago so im entitled to ask for a simple update.
They could just never post again and they wouldn't be breaking and of their "duties" (although that would suck). They don't have to do anything for you so just be glad this program exists and quit whining. :)

Spartan_344
11-12-2008, 06:35 PM
They could just never post again and they wouldn't be breaking and of their "duties" (although that would suck). They don't have to do anything for you so just be glad this program exists and quit whining. :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

But still they could be nice and post.

ps. A Question For macattack

What and who is this veiwer for ???

zalo
11-12-2008, 07:34 PM
If the team is consistent with their date promises and when it actually happens then wait until after January.
Then, you can complain whatever you like.

Spartan_344
11-13-2008, 09:17 AM
If the team is consistent with their date promises and when it actually happens then wait until after January.
Then, you can complain whatever you like.

OK

irpie
11-13-2008, 09:41 AM
lol thats fair i guess 1 week 3 months...potatoe potata....But seriously as long as it functions well im fine.

Spartan_344
11-17-2008, 03:47 PM
k

macattack
11-17-2008, 10:40 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
A
A
A
A----------------------------------------Updateplease
A
A
A
A
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Jesus what is wrong with you, A.D.D.?
This guy PM'ed me to say he was bored just calm down and wait and quit spamming the thread with useless crap.

irpie
11-18-2008, 03:59 AM
i tottaly agree with you macattack...ill get back to you right after i PM u..(im bored also)

Jazuhero
11-24-2008, 10:14 AM
If I'm right, there won't be a stand-alone version, only a Maya version. WHY?!!

Who has Maya: someone. Who wants to try DMM: EVERYONE!!!

So make a non-Maya version for the rest of us!!!!!!

dmmjedi
11-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi Everyone,

We are sorry that the sandbox program has not been posted yet. We have been very busy with getting our evaluation kits ready ever since The Force Unleashed came out as well as getting the plugin ready for final release.

One thing about the sandbox is that to get the greatest benefit from it, you should make sure your graphics card has a GPU that supports the use of Texture Units by Vertex shaders. This is important for the deformation shader that DMM uses to deform the surface geometry with tetrahedral meshes.

Examples of cards that support our deformation shader are: Nvidia cards after the 6800 and AMD cards like the 3870 and later. If your GPU doesn't support having Vertex shaders access texture units, the sandbox will detect this and still work, but it will use the CPU for the deformation - resulting in slower performance.

We will be releasing the sandbox viewer soon, after we make a few usability changes to it. I can't give you an exact date right now, but we are doing our best to get it to you as soon as we can.

Best Regards,
dmmjedi

Spartan_344
11-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

We are sorry that the sandbox program has not been posted yet. We have been very busy with getting our evaluation kits ready ever since The Force Unleashed came out as well as getting the plugin ready for final release.

One thing about the sandbox is that to get the greatest benefit from it, you should make sure your graphics card has a GPU that supports the use of Texture Units by Vertex shaders. This is important for the deformation shader that DMM uses to deform the surface geometry with tetrahedral meshes.

Examples of cards that support our deformation shader are: Nvidia cards after the 6800 and AMD cards like the 3870 and later. If your GPU doesn't support having Vertex shaders access texture units, the sandbox will detect this and still work, but it will use the CPU for the deformation - resulting in slower performance.

We will be releasing the sandbox viewer soon, after we make a few usability changes to it. I can't give you an exact date right now, but we are doing our best to get it to you as soon as we can.

Best Regards,
dmmjedi

YAY thank you so much

ps. I have a 9800 GT so i think it will work
=)

irpie
11-25-2008, 10:34 AM
AWSOME.. i only have 8600GT 1GB..overclocked should work i hope.....Jazuhero are you tired??....there is already maya plugin...yes but this is a seperate viewer for the people not ritch enough or illegal enough to own maya ...well if im nt mistaken of course im sorry if im wrong.

vaaern
11-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi Everyone,

Best Regards,
dmmjedi

YAY thank you so much

ps. I have a 9800 GT so i think it will work
=)

You are my hero's ;)

WarStorm
11-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Iam really interested on that. I hope soon means in some days not in some weeks or months! :D

irpie
11-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah!!....that be sweet.....and...if you don't release it soon...i WILL...cut through my leg...WITH A SOUP SPOON!.. :o

Spartan_344
11-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Yeah!!....that be sweet.....and...if you don't release it soon...i WILL...cut through my leg...WITH A SOUP SPOON!.. :o

Ooo ill cut through mine with a uhh... spherical object

macattack
11-30-2008, 07:52 PM
you've been watching to many happy tree friend episodes. Haven't you. ;)

Spartan_344
11-30-2008, 09:31 PM

Lol ive seen pretty much all of them

irpie
12-01-2008, 09:16 AM

You would think that....but..no...i was thinking of ways to protest....saw the spoon on my desk....and thought hmmmm that could cut through my leg.. :shock:

Spartan_344
12-01-2008, 09:36 AM

You would think that....but..no...i was thinking of ways to protest....saw the spoon on my desk....and thought hmmmm that could cut through my leg.. :shock:

What.......'s ... with.... al..l the......... periods.........in.....yo..ur....sentences........ .....................?.?.?.?.?

irpie
12-01-2008, 09:44 AM
You would think that....but..no...i was thinking of ways to protest....saw the spoon on my desk....and thought hmmmm that could cut through my leg.. :shock:[/quote]

What.......'s ... with.... al..l the......... periods.........in.....yo..ur....sentences........ .....................?.?.?.?.?[/quote]

Dont see any periods in my sentence just full stops --> ; <-- period --> . <-- full stop.
know what you mean before you question THE MAGIC OF THE FULL STOP!

WarStorm
12-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Please give us an update how the work is going on...^^
And @irpie and macattack don´t get crazy! :lol:

Spartan_344
12-01-2008, 01:59 PM

i think they already are crazy and thay already kind of posted a update

"Hi Everyone,

Best Regards,
dmmjedi"

irpie
12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
ye what he said ¬_¬ the crazy thing is old news its all about what you can stab yourself with now...DIBS ON THE SPOONS :(

Dark Matter
12-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Well hopefully we can get this before 2009 though It won't hurt to wait another year. : P

Also I am a bit saddened to hear that lower end PC's might not be able to use this however luckily there are 2 PC's in my house.

Thanks for the previous updates and any future updates as well.

I'd also like to add on the assumption that when this is released that this might become an active forum. Do you currently have any plans for this forum? It would be nice to see an Off Topic section here once this Sandbox Engine is released.

Spartan_344
12-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Well hopefully we can get this before 2009 though It won't hurt to wait another year. : P

Also I am a bit saddened to hear that lower end PC's might not be able to use this however luckily there are 2 PC's in my house.

Thanks for the previous updates and any future updates as well.

I'd also like to add on the assumption that when this is released that this might become an active forum. Do you currently have any plans for this forum? It would be nice to see an Off Topic section here once this Sandbox Engine is released.

wow i havnt heard from you in a while your the one that started this thread, cool

irpie
12-03-2008, 10:33 AM
well to be truthful the lower end pc are not necissarily built for physics simulations on this level.

Dark Matter
12-03-2008, 11:18 PM
well to be truthful the lower end pc are not necissarily built for physics simulations on this level.

The idea of this is to get people interested in this program and have fun.

Example, Endorphin SHOULD be demanding but it isn't. I understand that it is a completely different program but it does not have to be graphically enhanced.

Endorphin has a very limited draw distance as well as limited polygons (which you can change). It does add up and a person with a Pentium 3 system can run it. Not well, but it can run.

It'd be nice to atleast have it so people with a Nvidia FX series or similar could use this. It'd be even better where it has settings optimal for your system though that may be a bit of a stretch for a free program.

To Spartan, yeah I honestly forgot this existed for a bit. : P

irpie
12-05-2008, 08:29 AM

The idea of this is to get people interested in this program and have fun.

Example, Endorphin SHOULD be demanding but it isn't. I understand that it is a completely different program but it does not have to be graphically enhanced.

Endorphin has a very limited draw distance as well as limited polygons (which you can change). It does add up and a person with a Pentium 3 system can run it. Not well, but it can run.

It'd be nice to atleast have it so people with a Nvidia FX series or similar could use this. It'd be even better where it has settings optimal for your system though that may be a bit of a stretch for a free program.

To Spartan, yeah I honestly forgot this existed for a bit. : P

Well this isnt endorphin is it. and if you add a few characters and props it can be quite demanding.

clem
12-08-2008, 07:11 AM

The sandbox will work on lower end PC's. The simulations will only be slower....

If your GPU doesn't support having Vertex shaders access texture units, the sandbox will detect this and still work, but it will use the CPU for the deformation - resulting in slower performance.

irpie
12-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Very well put clem...:)...but i think he means why wont they run smoothly

WarStorm
12-08-2008, 01:49 PM
I hope that we get a small update ^^!

irpie
12-08-2008, 01:51 PM
me to!! :)

Spartan_344
12-09-2008, 04:40 PM
YAY Im the 100th REPLY

irpie
12-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Actually your the 101 ...you add 1 every time u post..¬_¬

Dark Matter
12-11-2008, 05:16 AM
Well this isnt endorphin is it.

Obviously. It's like comparing a bike to a truck. :roll:

But again the point is trying to market everyone, not just those who so happen to have a Nvidia 6 series video card or equivalent, because I sure don't.

irpie
12-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Yeah i agree but.. the Nvidia 6 series would have no chance of running smoothly even with tweaking and really if you have one i think its time to upgrade!

Spartan_344
12-11-2008, 12:15 PM
But again the point is trying to market everyone, not just those who so happen to have a Nvidia 6 series video card or equivalent, because I sure don't.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOL

You can buy a nvidea 6600 for $19.99 LOL if you cant afford that then your uhhh... Broke

Spartan_344
12-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Lol i cant belive its been 2 months since they said 1 week it hasnt felt that long Hmm...

irpie
12-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Yeah i mean it has only felt like.......TWO MONTHS *twitch*....and yet i keep coming back..

WarStorm
12-14-2008, 04:49 AM
I think the sandbox thing is a joke. We never saw any screenshoot or anything else. This forum is very boring!

irpie
12-14-2008, 06:22 AM
The cake was a lie....and yet it still existed... mabe we don't want non belivers in this "boring" forum....*picks up spoon*....I'd leave if i where you..

WarStorm
12-15-2008, 06:25 AM
How can you believe something you never saw?

irpie
12-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Oh but i belive....how can YOU see something you don't belive..

Dark Matter
12-15-2008, 11:55 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOL

You can buy a nvidea 6600 for $19.99 LOL if you cant afford that then your uhhh... Broke

Damn right. I have a AGP system. Find me a Nvidia 6600 AGP for $19.99 and I'll never post here again (Obviously lying). And it can't be used.

Good luck.

irpie
12-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Well....m8 the only answer to that is...GET NEW SYSTEM ....and you now seem a little lame for saying they should make it supportive for lower end PCs when really its not meant for them...Especially when YOU can get a 8600GT for less than £60...which can run crysis on very high with a little tweaking

cgi.ebay(DOT)co(DOT)uk/ASUS-GEFORCE-6600-GT-256MB-PCI-E_W0QQitemZ230314233217QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Compu ting_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_T W?hash=item230314233217&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

--- 19 quid....

Ahh...Didnt see the AGP system part...Meh i found that one in seconds it would'nt be hard.

zalo
12-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Actually, I think he said that because the 6600 was the first (or least powerful) nvidia card to go PCI-E.

I made that mistake when trying to upgrade by 5500 FX to an 8600 GT.

But when you do upgrade your system, if it happens soon, get an 8800 GT. 10x better than an 8600 for only... last time I checked... $130.

EDIT: Looks like the GTS's are going for $90 on newegg. But don't be fooled! Get the GT!

irpie
12-17-2008, 05:02 AM
....Or if your feeling really special do what i have just done...(im impulsive) buy a GTX 280 and dnt feel the need 2 upgrade for the next year or 2 :D....well i would do that except im poor....and i have a 8600GT

Spartan_344
12-21-2008, 08:55 PM
(Yawn)

irpie
12-22-2008, 04:28 AM
ARGHHH....this is taking to long...at least give us an update.

Spartan_344
12-27-2008, 02:53 PM

yay two months ago

irpie
12-28-2008, 06:51 AM
There just trying to be casually late..or they forgot...I CHECK BACK HERE WAY TO OFTEN...

Dark Matter
12-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Actually, I think he said that because the 6600 was the first (or least powerful) nvidia card to go PCI-E.

I made that mistake when trying to upgrade by 5500 FX to an 8600 GT.

But when you do upgrade your system, if it happens soon, get an 8800 GT. 10x better than an 8600 for only... last time I checked... $130.

EDIT: Looks like the GTS's are going for $90 on newegg. But don't be fooled! Get the GT!

Useless post is useless. Again, I have an AGP system.

If you weren't talking to me anyway I think everyone knows (who is computer savvy) that PCI-E is the best and that the Nvidia 280 is the best on the market for the moment.

Spartan_344
12-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Umm i have a small feeling that abcd089 is spaming this website

irpie
12-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Yes the most superior card at the moment is the GTX 280 ...i managed to scrape together for the less powerful GTX 260, And why not purchase a new system and a new PCI-E card.

Spartan_344
01-05-2009, 06:07 PM
AAAAA ITS BEEN 3 MONTHS Im ready for it just put out some updates afterword

irpie
01-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I never thought i could get depressed by software....well part from spore and FC2...that was sickeningly dissapointing.

Spartan_344
01-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I never thought i could get depressed by software....well part from spore and FC2...that was sickeningly dissapointing.

lol i was verry diapointed with spore but i enjoy farcry 2 on ultra high on my pc

=D

irpie
01-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Kwl i didnt i tried to compare it to crysis and it was too much hype involved ..
what card have you got?

Spartan_344
01-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Kwl i didnt i tried to compare it to crysis and it was too much hype involved ..
what card have you got?

i have a Nvidea 9800 GTX

irpie
01-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Nice....i just got GTX 260....its...awsome 80 fps on crysis full 1400x1900 IMPOSSIBLE U SAY?! well yes i just have no anti analysing on...lol

Spartan_344
01-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Nice....i just got GTX 260....its...awsome 80 fps on crysis full 1400x1900 IMPOSSIBLE U SAY?! well yes i just have no anti analysing on...lol
lucky it turns out that 15 year olds dont have that much money i wish i did but i should probebly get a quadcore first

irpie
01-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Being 15 myself, i know what you mean, although with all the money i get i had to work for it ¬_¬ which...as it turns out almost seems nt worth it....ARGHHH WE ARE SO FAR OF THE POINT WHEN THE HELL IS THIS MYSTICAL VIEW COMING..

Spartan_344
01-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Being 15 myself, i know what you mean, although with all the money i get i had to work for it ¬_¬ which...as it turns out almost seems nt worth it....ARGHHH WE ARE SO FAR OF THE POINT WHEN THE HELL IS THIS MYSTICAL VIEW COMING..

lol thats what i was thinkin now we shall talk about the weather in uragway and then think about the mystical rare beast of the veiwer of death and dispair... maybe thay will finish soon since they just finished the plugin

irpie
01-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Yeh..they did mention they would work on it after the plugin, *twitch* and that waz only.....to long ago 4 me 2 work out.

Amynue
01-20-2009, 04:36 AM
I can't understand why developers are playing with us.

irpie
01-20-2009, 08:22 AM
i think it was an accident, a typo by viewer he meant plugin and now its a huge lie ¬_¬

zalo
01-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Don't fret, guys. They will have it out soon.

Jan 13th:

The interactive demo is still not out, but we are working on some enhancements that we think are relevant when we release it to everyone.

As for the sandbox, it won't be ready for a week or so as we finish up some work on a couple of DMM accuracy issues.

Probably the smartest thing to be doing right now is to be making DMM scenes in Maya now, so you can import them into the viewer right after it is released.

irpie
01-21-2009, 10:41 AM
I honesty can't belive it they said it be out in a week ....a year ago ¬_¬

Spartan_344
01-21-2009, 10:59 AM
I honesty can't belive it they said it be out in a week ....a year ago ¬_¬

lol it hasnt been a year just a few months like uh... 4

irpie
01-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Technically they said it last year so... and also...4 months...¬_¬

irpie
01-28-2009, 08:20 AM
sooo...this dead?...is there a need for me to spam the thread to revive it as if i where a difribulator..?

Spartan_344
01-28-2009, 10:15 AM
ya and ill be the oxygen yaaaay oxygen wooot

*SPAM*

stuff posing as meat

zalo
02-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Stay frosty people. In the mean-time slake your thirst with this:

http://www.hhjensen.eu/?page_id=6

and this

http://www.iii.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takahiroharada/

They both include very interesting physics simulations. (The second link is only for people with good graphics cards (By which I mean Nvidia cards)).

futuramaguy42
02-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Pixelux should at least give us an update on whats happening with it.

Spartan_344
02-03-2009, 04:17 PM
i Dont think the veiwer is at the top of thair priorty list just give them a while thay will get around to it eventualy

irpie
02-04-2009, 10:49 AM
By the time they do...something better will have come out...or it will be implemented in a PC game which..eventually will have an SDK so we will get a engine and viewer from that
..well thats if they take..anuther few years.

Spartan_344
02-12-2009, 03:27 PM
i think ive visted this site 5 times today out of habit...

irpie
02-13-2009, 09:15 AM
same :(...its gettin annoying now!

futuramaguy42
02-15-2009, 08:33 AM
By the time they do...something better will have come out...or it will be implemented in a PC game which..eventually will have an SDK so we will get a engine and viewer from that
..well thats if they take..anuther few years.

Imagine GMOD with a DMM type engine... and maybe euphoria engine too.

irpie
02-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Imagine GTA with DMM ...and WHY MUST YOU TEMPT ME FUTURAMA GUY ARGHHHH NEED DMM ....althought im actually sickend by the thought of not having prototype..i need that game....it looks like verythign i wuld want in a sandbox game.

Spartan_344
02-18-2009, 09:03 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

On behalf of the dmm veiwer commity... We kindly demand a update

Under the commiseration,

C/TSgt Iacovelli

irpie
02-19-2009, 05:58 AM
Viva Le Revolution!!!!....de dmm ¬_¬

WarStorm
02-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Hmmmm... they said we will get it soon some months ago... do you still think we get it?

irpie
02-19-2009, 12:49 PM
*twitch*...it will.....it must....

WarStorm
02-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Don´t make yourself crazy. It would be great if we would get the program, but there are more important things too.^^

irpie
02-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Like....oh..yeh PROTOTYPE!

Spartan_344
02-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Cant that dmmjedi guy answer our question???

WarStorm
02-20-2009, 11:53 AM
It would be great if we could get an update...

irpie
02-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Or at least if theres any point in me checking back EVERY SINGLE DAY...
I vote some one PMs an admin or mod?

Spartan_344
02-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Or at least if theres any point in me checking back EVERY SINGLE DAY...
I vote some one PMs an admin or mod?
i vote that you do it =)

irpie
02-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Way ahead of you :) just sent the PM

Spartan_344
02-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Way ahead of you :) just sent the PM

lol ok post his answer

WarStorm
02-22-2009, 01:03 AM
I wrote a PM 3 Months before and nobody answered yet...

irpie
02-22-2009, 04:06 AM
Lol no answer yet either..mabe they ahve given up on this forum and mabe even DMM...

Spartan_344
02-28-2009, 01:21 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAA
ARE YOU SIROUSE JUST GIVE US SOME SORT OF UPDATE THE SUSPENCE IS KILLING ME.... i can see it now ...~~~~Teenager dies from suspencefull heart failure and is no longer reciving blood to the brain... he is DEAD.... all becouse of this little company called DMM they would not put out a veiwer for all the poor people of the world...~~~~ *Emencefull Sigh*

WarStorm
03-01-2009, 08:29 AM
I think you never will get an answer....

WarStorm
03-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Wow they changed the host of this forum... i already thought no one will ever visit this!^^

So can you now give us an update??? We are waiting for a half year and longer already...

Spartan_344
03-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Wow... i have been looking at this forum page 2 times a day for the last 7 months O_O

Spartan_344
03-05-2009, 02:58 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAA
ARE YOU SIROUSE JUST GIVE US SOME SORT OF UPDATE THE SUSPENCE IS KILLING ME.... i can see it now ...~~~~Teenager dies from suspencefull heart failure and is no longer reciving blood to the brain... he is DEAD.... all becouse of this little company called DMM they would not put out a veiwer for all the poor people of the world...~~~~ *Emencefull Sigh*

who ever Wrote that most be crazy ^^^^^^

irpie
03-05-2009, 03:25 PM
I return with news..

I just ate a ham sandwich oh..and also

It was nice...no reply no NOTHING I AM SICKEND BY THERE LACK OF REPLYING

Spartan_344
03-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Yup

zalo
03-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Look, guys, if you want news, Join Facepunch, or Fun-Motion, or Datarealms, or Portalized.
You'll never be confined to a single dead thread there. Anyway, just remember in the back of your mind that it is coming, and check back every so often. Not twice a day for 6 months.

irpie
03-09-2009, 08:54 AM
WOW..yeh that really helps...thanks because facepunch is a DMM forum..not a Gmod forum...THE REASON WE ARE HERE IS BECAUSE WE WANT THE DMM VIEWER NOT TO CHAT ON FORUMS..

Spartan_344
03-09-2009, 10:57 AM
WOW..yeh that really helps...thanks because facepunch is a DMM forum..not a Gmod forum...THE REASON WE ARE HERE IS BECAUSE WE WANT THE DMM VIEWER NOT TO CHAT ON FORUMS..

Exactly =D

Dark Matter
03-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Even though i;m not a moderator here, you guys are spamming and this thread would have been locked already.

Sit back, relax, and wait. It'll be here some day.

Spartan_344
03-16-2009, 05:26 PM
YES!!! The veiwer is contained in the evaluater download (but i keep geting errors when i try to get it)

irpie
03-17-2009, 08:57 AM
No VIEWER YOU SIKEN ME NOTHING ELSE NEW

Spartan_344
05-01-2009, 03:29 PM
are you guys almost done with it? waited like a month since my last post =)

MulleDK19
05-11-2009, 06:17 AM
Wasn't this announced to be released in a week a year ago?!!?? -.-

And it's still not here. What worse is, LucasArts made Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and decides to NOT release it on the PC with the stupidest reason ever. And now they're making Indiana Jones also with DMM, Euphoria and Havok, and AGAIN not for the PC.

I'm giving out all my LucasArts games for free.

Spartan_344
06-09-2009, 02:19 PM
i guess people just dont like the PC anymore...

Spartan_344
06-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I noticed that your evaluater download has the DMM veiwer on it... would it be posible for Pixelux to relese it to the Public

-Nick

Kalul
07-16-2009, 07:05 AM
Hi. My name is Julian and i think thats a very good point.
I know that my request is very unimportand and not interesting.
But me and thousands other people love to play around with physics.
So i would shure pay 10€ for a sandbox demo... if it would be free it would be much better but i dont care ^^
I love to make 3d objects with blender.
I can imagine that a sandbox of dmm would be so awesome to play with.
insert own models. set the material.
try fire and ice on it and throw things at it. like the demovideo i have uploaded on youtube.
dmm gamebryo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MryrCquonzI
i hope iam allowed to do so. :shock:
thanks for reading my post.
greetings
Julian

WarStorm
07-17-2009, 12:37 AM
The Pixelux Team said me that they work on such a public release, but that this is not their main work. They are planning to release it someday.

MulleDK19
07-18-2009, 03:39 PM
The Pixelux Team said me that they work on such a public release, but that this is not their main work. They are planning to release it someday.

Great. So we can expect it sometime between year 2017 and 2099

Kalul
07-19-2009, 06:07 AM
such a nice irony -_- .... :?

irpie
07-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Are you crazy 2017..2099 those are ridiculous predictions....it wont be released in THIS century.. -_-

Kalul
07-23-2009, 01:05 PM
uff... i better forgett this and erase my video on youtube about this. :(

irpie
07-24-2009, 09:51 AM
No...I suggest we just spam the inbox of each and every Moderator and Admin
FORWARD TO VIEWERCTRY

Kalul
07-26-2009, 05:03 AM
wouldnt be so good. i just hope they bring it out. anytihng where we can play around with this cool engine.

irpie
07-26-2009, 10:34 AM
I suggest they release it with the cost of $7.99 but to every one on the forum a free copy..or just this thread as we have bin there since the begining.

Kalul
07-30-2009, 09:36 AM
i would pay 10 € for it!!! or $ whatever.

Pixelux!!!! Cant u plz answere about a release of it? or isnt there anything anymore?

irpie
07-30-2009, 11:42 AM
He replyed..

Additional points about the viewer.

Hi Irpie, I also wanted to let you know that the other factor in getting the viewer out to you guys is our time division in a project we are involved in with a very large company. I can't talk more about it because of NDAs, but I think you will like the end result.

I will post more details as they become available.

I am sorry we have not been able to get the viewer out to you guys. Hopefully this will be remedied soon.

-dmmjedi

Hi Irpie,

We have been focussed on getting DMM ported to as many platforms as possible, and this has been taking up all our time and resources. We revisit the release of the viewer pretty often, but to release something into the wild is something that requires us to make a lot of changes to make the UI robust, material settings work properly, etc.

We have a big meeting next week where we will discuss getting some resources dedicated to it to get it out sooner. Until then, I can't give you a specific timeframe for release.

-dmmjedi

Kalul
07-31-2009, 03:24 AM
This makes me smile !!! :P
Ok well.... they maybe want to bring dmm to make it compatible with the source engne :o :o :o

would be soooo awesome amazing genius XD
im very luckky about it. We'll see. ^^

irpie
07-31-2009, 03:29 AM
What no..the source engine is outdated..the cryengine 3 would be good in time for crysis 2
And yes it is nice to hear all though ultimately it means more waiting..lots more.

MulleDK19
08-05-2009, 12:34 PM
When the viewer comes out we'll all run around in Virtual Reality and play with a DMM clone made by some other company. For free.

Spartan_344
09-08-2009, 02:26 PM
are you guy going to publicly release the veiwer?

irpie
09-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Ive look at all your posts spartan and..almost EVERY single one you spell viewer wrong...VIEWER

bigfatmamma
09-26-2009, 02:02 PM
On the first page it says that they have the ability to release one after October of 2008. i know it would take a while to program, but would it really take a year, i really think this is a cool idea and would really like to try it out.

Long live DMM!

Spartan_344
10-02-2009, 07:02 PM
I hope the VEIWER Comes out soon...

Darksteps
10-18-2009, 05:04 PM
glad I never checked this forum, I wouldn't have been disappointed and I haven't been waiting... but I'd be more excited for a 3D Studio MAX plugin than the viewer.

irpie
11-11-2009, 01:11 PM
There is a Debug viewer included in the engine evalutation..this..cant be the viewer..right?

Spartan_344
01-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Really guys? come on has it not been long enough?

Spartan_344
02-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Come on guys. it has been one Year (plus a few moths) since we asked for this... is it realy that hard just to make a stand alone realtime veiwer?

MulleDK19
03-04-2010, 07:54 PM
DMM is dying...

Dark Matter
05-27-2010, 03:35 AM
I haven't been here (obviously) in a while.

It'd be nice to know if there is any update on whether this will happen or not.

Mr. Wonko
05-27-2010, 09:39 AM
It will. Kind of. They're goind to release the whole API in a (slightly) limited version for free. That means anybody can put it into his program. I could imagine that some of the first programs to be made will be little testing sandboxes.

sonny3000
08-07-2010, 05:02 AM
Hi!
Thanks for all the messages!
We plan to release that tool in the future, however we can't release anything before october 1st because of our contract with Lucas Arts.
Thanks for the support, we'll keep you updated!

Wow! this post is old, did you ever release the viewer??

dmmjedi
08-07-2010, 08:52 PM
We are doing much more than a sandbox now. We will be releasing a free version of the DMM2 API along with examples and tools to the game community. You will be able to use the free version in your games and ship them without any cost. The catch will be that the free version will be limited in the total number of tetrahedrons it can fracture and deform in real-time. We expect that with the combination of Bullet and Free DMM, you will be able to make some fantastic games.

If you want much more elaborate destruction and deformation, you will want to get the non-free commercial version which won't have any limit on the number of tetrahedrons you can fracture and deform.

WarStorm
08-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Wow, that are real good news. When do you will release it?

dmmjedi
08-26-2010, 10:29 AM
We will release it before the end of the year. We have made excellent progress on DMM2 so we think it will be something you will all enjoy.

jamcruise
11-21-2010, 11:42 PM
DMM splits components up into a grid like mesh where every single vertex (point in the mesh) got it's own velocity. Those vertices are connected by springs which allows the whole object to bend, fracture et cetera. This obviously needs way more calcuations than simple rigid body dynamics.

futuramaguy42
12-29-2010, 11:09 AM
We will release it before the end of the year. We have made excellent progress on DMM2 so we think it will be something you will all enjoy.

The end of the year is in a few days, so..... where is it? Not trying to be mean but seriously, will this be coming out, or has it gone the way of the first promised sandbox program?

Mr. Wonko
12-30-2010, 12:44 PM

The end of the year is in a few days, so..... where is it? Not trying to be mean but seriously, will this be coming out, or has it gone the way of the first promised sandbox program?
I'm pretty sure it's still coming. Just give them some time.

WarStorm
01-02-2011, 02:42 AM
2 years ago they said it will come in some months. One year ago they said it will come soon. 3 months ago they said it comes until end of 2010. And now again they released nothing. Guys Iam quite dissapointed from you.

dmmjedi
01-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Well, we did release DMM Touch before year's end. There are a lot of factors beyond our control that affect getting DMM2 out the door. We are working hard to correct those. Should have more insight as to a new date within the next 2 weeks.

We haven't forgotten about this.

MulleDK19
02-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Well, we did release DMM Touch before year's end. There are a lot of factors beyond our control that affect getting DMM2 out the door. We are working hard to correct those. Should have more insight as to a new date within the next 2 weeks.

I seriously doubt that DMM Touch shows the full potential of DMM.

Personally, I'm missing DMM on the PC.

In the beginning, the only way to get the slightest sneak peak was to buy an Xbox 360 or a PlayStation 3, and when The Force Unleashed more than a year later finally arrived on the PC, the implementation of DMM felt like a joke. It seemed extremely undetailed, and breaking a window just to to see it disappear before it had barely come to a rest, was extremely disappointing.

As far as I know, DMM has been around for the past 7 years, and there's still nothing that shows what DMM is really all about.

Spartan_344
03-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Wow, cant believe it has been over 2 years since we first asked for a DMM sandbox...

MulleDK19
03-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Wow, cant believe it has been over 2 years since we first asked for a DMM sandbox...

It's been 2.48780967748172 years.

dmelchio
04-06-2011, 08:13 AM

Ummm... did you forget about giving a new date on DMM2?

dmmjedi
04-06-2011, 01:35 PM
A new date is still being determined based on the feature set we think we can add to the final version.

irpie
04-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Wow..2 years crazy times, anyway a new date would be good. Was really dissapointed dmm touch was'nt for android OS.

dmmjedi
04-25-2011, 10:26 AM
The iOS platform had the necessary horsepower to do the port of DMM, not sure if we could do that on Android, and even if we did, it would be to a very specific subset of the platform that would'nt make anyone happy.

What would you like to see in a sandbox release?

-dmmjedi

irpie
05-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Various prefabs ability to change material or just the plugin sliders, and realtime interaction, that can easily be reset and edited.

dmmjedi
05-05-2011, 11:25 AM
We already have the ability to export objects from Maya to the current test sandbox. As for sliders, we do also have something to allow you to select materials and change their properties though not to selectively pick regions to apply different material properties to.

The current sandbox is based on DMM1. We are fixing some things on DMM2 and want to release that instead. I'm sure you guys will like that better. As for a time, I'm sorry, but I don't have one right now as we are focussing on getting DMM2 done as well as supporting everyone using the Maya 2012 plug-in.

On the positive side, when we do come out with the sandbox, there will be a lot of different DMM objects to put into it :)

-dmmjedi

irpie
05-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Sounds good, theres no way we could get a beta or working version of the DMM1 one, just to see the direction your going in?

vixolux
05-20-2011, 08:53 PM
We have some good stuff in development right now that we think you will like. We have learned a lot over the years with DMM development and the new stuff is really going to be impressive.

We have gotten DMM included in every copy of Maya and we have DMM Touch out there for everyone to play with. We also have some more elaborate projects that we will be disclosing in the next few months.

The delays are regrettable, but developing new technology can't always be done on a schedule. We are doing the best that we can to bring it to you.

Cheers,
Vik

snopek
07-13-2011, 04:07 AM
We already have the ability to export objects from Maya to the current test sandbox. As for sliders, we do also have something to allow you to select materials and change their properties though not to selectively pick regions to apply different material properties to.

The current sandbox is based on DMM1. We are fixing some things on DMM2 and want to release that instead. I'm sure you guys will like that better. As for a time, I'm sorry, but I don't have one right now as we are focussing on getting DMM2 done as well as supporting everyone using the Maya 2012 plug-in.

On the positive side, when we do come out with the sandbox, there will be a lot of different DMM objects to put into it :)

-dmmjedi

Ive upgraded my pc to be able to handle the maya plugin and sandbox, do you think: Radeon HD 6950 2GB Will be enough to handle it?
4 gig ram
AMD Phenom 2.5Ghz quadcore

vik
07-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Easily. The first demos we did for Lucas were on an AMD fx57 with an Nvidia GeForce 7 in 2005. Those demos have still not been surpassed, and DMM has gotten 7 times faster since then :)

irpie
07-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Okay, can we at least have a estimate? A window of time you could possibly be done on the viewer?.

vik
07-20-2011, 11:59 AM
It would not be wise to give out a time right now since in the past other things seem to have kept us from releasing it. We have DMM2 development going on right now as well as a couple of other projects which are taking up our time. Unfortunately, all of those are much higher priority than the sandbox release.

We have not forgotten about it, just trying some way to get something out while meeting our other goals.

-Vik

snopek
08-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Ok, But please don't forget about it :3

Can't wait :D

vik
08-06-2014, 01:05 AM
Hey Guys, well we haven't forgotten about the DMM Sandbox and it is now in beta. We will be posting a link this week for you to download it. The first version will be sparse, but you will have access to the entire DMM API as well as SDL and the DMM Toolchain. All this is accessible within the DMM Sandbox via Lua.

Lots more to come!

Cheers,
Vik

snopek
10-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Hey Vik, that's awesome! But i see no link and it's been 3 months :3